Re: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002, Vincent Poy <vince@domain.elided> wrote:

> > > The OEM oil is unique.......for this trans.
> > Could you please elaborate.

I believe I already saw a response from Henri, but I will emphasize
you cannot substitute any other sort of ATF fluid for this trans or
you run the risk destroying it in short order.

> > I would advise to start by checking which transmission is installed in your
> > car and contacting the manufacturer for the advise on which ATF to use.
> > BMW dealer service departments are notoriously clueless and sales oriented.
> > Unless you personally spoke to a wrench with 10+ years of experience and
> > NOT a service "advisor", I would not put any faith in the advise your
> > received.
> 	Yep, a company will always recommend their own products over
> anything else.  Just like you buy a Timex watch, they say to replace it
> with a Timex battery but any battery from Renata, Energizer, Duracell,
> Maxell, Varta, Panasonic will all work as good if not better than the
> original battery.

Each ATF fluid type is specially formulated.  The analogy only works if you
are comparing say, a Pennzoil Dextron III fluid to a Texaco Dextron III
fluid. (ie apples to apples)

> > > It is not Redline's version of Dextron 3 synthetic .......
> > Most likely not.

Definitely not.

> > BMW has never re-branded any RedLine products. But they had been known to
> > resell Shell and now Castrol (the current Williams BMW sponsor) products.

The special ATF is refined by Shell (Shell LA 2634)

> Also, speaking about the
> transmission, my friend said when he puts the transmission in reverse, it
> has a delay of 2 seconds before the car would actually reverse with the
> foot on the gas pedal, anyone knows what the remedy for this is?

I'm afraid the vehicle might be headed for a transmission replacement in
the near future. This was one of the first symptoms of my impending
transmission failure. It took about 20-30K miles before the transmission
finally went completely (@ 125K Miles)

> > BMW NA stopped recommending transmission service in '98, exactly the year
> > they started including 'free' 3 year/36K mile service with new cars.
> > Prior to '98, transmission fluid flush was a part of Inspection II.
> > Draw your own conclusions.
> 	Interesting... So models prior to '98 actually required
> transmission service?

The E34 540i, or more accurately its ZF transmission, was one of the first
"Lifetime Fluid" models. The ATF fluid change is not part of its Inspection
II. Given that you are looking at a $6500 job, perhaps attempting a fluid
change might be worth the $$$ and effort.

Regards,
Randy.
'94 E34 540i