Re: To cat or not to cat

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Robert Phelan wrote:

> I just figured out that the horrible rattle I've been hearing in my
> E30 was a shattered catalytic converter core.

> 2.  Could I be fined for this?  I of course have the option of saying
> "uh, what's a catalytic whatsit?" and feigning ignorance... but that
> involves a bit of dishonesty.  Any professional mechanics out there
> who would turn-in a customer who was missing the cat?

 That depends on your state laws.  If they start doing emissions
testing, then you'll just fail and have to get it fixed.  Feigning
ignorance always works.  For all you know, the core shattered into
small pieces and flew out of the system, or the PO removed the core.
Anyway, you knew nothing of this.  Mechanics don't care.

> 3.  Thoughts on the morality/environmental issues?

 You could sell your BMW and buy an old V8 carbureted American car for
half the money.  Then you'd be polluting about 10 times as much.  Do
you want that?  Getting through college is hard enough.  Do what you
have to, and get it fixed properly when you are able.

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro