Re: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

on 8/19/02 10:49 PM, bmw-digest at owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> BMW has never re-branded any RedLine products. But they had been known to
> resell Shell and now Castrol (the current Williams BMW sponsor) products.

The correct fluid is Shell LA2634.  It is unique.  I contacted Shell-Europe
about this fluid in an attempt to obtain technical data.  They very
carefully did NOT associate any of their other ATFs to this fluid but
maintained its unique status.  They told me that they did not even
distribute it to North America.  I bought some for $18/L from www.jie.com,
just pay him and ask no questions.  An aside--The fluid appears more viscous
than other ATFs, for what its worth.  I have some left and may get it
chemically analyzed...

>>> Is there any thing special about it since it seems to cost
>>> a fortune and all the BMW Performance catalogs including Bavarian
>>> Autosport seems to sell the Redline stuff, is there anything wrong
>>> with it.  Also, my friend asked if Slick50 ATF is a bad idea.
>>
>> OEM fluid only...!!!!
>
> Why?
> Can you tell me the difference between Redline, Mobil-1 or re-branded OEM
> oil?
viscosity, shear strength, volatility,...the data sheets (if you can get
them) tell the tale.  Actually, of the normal (not the ZF 5HP30) ATFs you
will find the Amsoil products rule in technical specs.

> I'm yet to meet anyone who has anything good to say about Slick50 or
> similar magic oils, so do stay away from those.
Teflon does not coat metal parts at the temperatures seen in oil
passageways, it can collect and clog oil passages though.  It also turns
into trifluoroacetic acid (TFA) in the heat of combustion though...

>>> Second : I have been monitoring this issue, since the "lifetime  fluid"
>>> craze began , and I think it's not worth it. The manufacturer doesn't
>>> recommend this service as a regular thing.
To Henri-- Replace fluid for <$300 or replace the tranny for 	$6000, OF
COURSE ITS WORTH IT!  But you know where I stand on this issue.

> Yep,
> BMW NA stopped recommending transmission service in '98, exactly the year
> they started including 'free' 3 year/36K mile service with new cars.
> Prior to '98, transmission fluid flush was a part of Inspection II.
> Draw your own conclusions.
Ooooo, very interesting tidbit!