Re: 1994 540i Auto Transmission Service and Fluid

Actually what you really want to know is:

Will changing this OEM ATF fluid in your "early" model 5HP30 make a
difference
when the car has ~80-100K miles. Do you have the updated valve body?

First : Only use the special OEM ATF.......if you must.

Second : I have been monitoring this issue, since the "lifetime  fluid"
craze began , and I think it's not worth it. The manufacturer doesn't
recommend this service as a
regular thing.

There have been many reported failures at ~80K miles
and no anecdotal reports of ~150K miles without replacement.

Henri
Los Angeles