Re: '95 740iL transmission ills (?)

Dennis,
  I have a 95 540i (88kmi) with the 5HP30 tranny (same as yours).  I got a
great deal on it because the previous owner received a $6400 quote to fix
the tranny.  I have changed out 60% of "lifetime" fluid.  The tranny is fine
now, I will swap out the rest of the fluid later.  Go to www.jie.com and buy
8L of the Shell LA2436 fluid.  Might want to get the filter kit and replace
it while you are there.  Note-You will need the mechanical aptitude of,
well, better than an eggplant to do this though.  I am an Engineer-- there
is no such thing as "lifetime fluid," BMW should be ashamed of itself for
saying so.  You will pay $18/L from Jaggi but thank God for it as BMW is
asking $32/L!
Jim