Re: first timer at replacing front brake pads on 1988 528e

I can second this.  I did my first BMW break pad change this weekend.
I can say that it is by far the easiest brake pad change I have ever
done.  Well, my bike is easier, but that's not fair.

The clips can be removed and installed by hand with only moderate
effort.  Make sure the 7mm screws do not hit the rotor on
installation.  This won't do much damage, but it was a problem for me
to get the calipers back on until I realized the screws were blocking
me.

Question for Rodney: Other than being "complete" about the brake job,
is there some reason the sensors should be replaced?  I didn't replace
mine, but the pads I was replacing were OEM pads and almost new (I was
trying to fix my squeel problem - and no, it didn't help).

Thanks!

/greg

On Aug 8, 2002, LtWacko@domain.elided  wrote:

 |In a message dated 8/8/2002 8:37:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
 |owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:
 |
 |> Am in process of scanning FAQs and other resources on the Web, but would
 |> appreciate any advice on this undertaking.
 |>
 |> Is it relatively easy?
 |> Is a 7mm Allen wrench the only specialized tool I need?
 |> Any tricks to removing/replacing sensor on left front wheel?
 |>
 |> Thanks all.
 |>
 |> Tom
 |
 |Super easy job.  Make sure you have big Channel locks or a large "C" clamp to
 |
 |push the piston back into the caliper.  Also a good time to bleed the brakes.
 |
 | Use new sensors with the new pads.
 |
 |Rodney
 |--
 |to be removed from bmw, see /bin/digest-subs.cgi
 |or email "unsubscribe bmw" to majordomo@domain.elided

- --
Gregory F. March    -=-    http://www.gfm.net:81/~march    -=-    AIM:GfmNet