RE: New List Member with question about E36 (325IS)

"Henry Kim" <henry.kim@domain.elided> wrote:
> I have this problem with my *front* wheels.  Well, it's not a
> crunching sound, more of a metallic clanking just like when cars
> had hubcaps and you'd get a stone in it.
>
> A visual inspection shows nothing wrong and the bounce test on the
> shocks seems normal.  Any idea what this might be?

Henry,
We are talking about an E36, right?
If so, check to make sure you are not missing any outboard brake pad clips.
It's a $3 part that presses the outboard pad to the caliper carrier. The
inside pad has a 3-prong clip in it holding it to the caliper itself.
If your aftermarket inboard pads do not have the caliper clips, expects all
sort of interesting rattles coming from the front wheels with or without
the outboard clip installed.
The other possibility are loose suspension components. Anything from the
sway bars links/mounts, control arm ball joints, tie rods to strut upper
shock mounts and the 3 big bolts connecting the strut cartridge to the
steering knuckle.

alex f