nylon odometer gears?

Sorry I didn't pay attention last time this was discussed, but I hadn't had
the problem yet. . .
A few weeks ago, someone had an E-30 who's trip meter and odometer wasn't
working.  The speedo and everything else was working if I remember right, but
apparently there was some nylon gear that ran the odometer that wears out.  I
believe there was some Volkswagen part that was the right size and shape to
replace this piece.  If anybody knows what I'm talking about, could they tell
me what they had to do for this.  How bad a job was it, part number, how it
worked, etc.?
Thanks in advance,
Jake Hahn
87 325i