Air Conditioning ON without being switched ON?

 From time to time on my 92 E34, I find that my A/C  produces cold air
without the A/C being ON (illuminated).  My BMW mechanic responds
with "Impossible!".  I let it go.

Then my wife's 95 E34 did the same thing the other day.  The A/C
worked with the light/switch OFF, and didn't produce cold air when
the light/switch was ON.  Not until the car was shut off and
restarted, did the system return to normal operation.

Since the switch itself doesn't actually control the compressor
directly, is this a case of confused computer/control circuit?

Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks

- --
Jonathan Schwartz,