engine hesitation e34

All I've got an e34 1991 535i that's been having some problems as of late.. mainly when I'm driving around town I'll hit the accelerator and the RPM needle will dip, then recover and the engine will catch.  This is causing some stalls every so often (and I'm easy on the accelerator) and I'm ready to take it in.. before I do, I'm wondering if it's a job I can't do myself (fuel system cleaning, spark plugs, wires, etc.  The plugs and wires haven't been replaced since I bought the car and  I don't know when the owner previously had them replaced.  Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Nic