e36 fuel gauge problem

My 93 325is (75,000 miles) has just developed a problem with the fuel gauge.
When I first start up in the morning, it reads correctly. But after I get to
work and park the car, then go out in say, 20 minutes, when I start up again
the gauge reads empty, and the warning light is on. If I leave the car to
cool off for several hours, then go start it again, everything works until I
shut down for a few minutes and start again. Obviously, it is heat related,
but would it be a sensing unit in the tank, or something behind the dash.
Maybe a relay? We've had temps around 96-103 for the past week, and this is
the first time its shown up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.