Re: endoscope for auto use?

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, john wrote:

> Just a thought but I was wondering if it is a feasable thing to try and
> construct a basic (non-bendy) endoscope type thing for auto use eg
> seeing into cylinders via the s.plug hole etc etc? Anyone on the list
> tried something like this or know of any projects like it.

 The problem with these scopes as I understand it is the expense of
constructing the fiber bundle.  Bendy or no, the bundle must be
"coherent" i.e. the arrangement of fibers is identical on both ends,
else the image is jumbled.
That's tougher than taking a small bundle of fibers and applying
zip-ties on each end to secure it.
 The lighting is achieved by using some of the fibers to transmit
light to the objective.  A simple eyepiece/lens arrangement can be
fastened to the end for viewing, or a camera can be used.

 I thought about this same thing for engine inspection, but they all
seem to be too expensive for personal use.  You can find lots of
information on them by searching Google for "borescopes"

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro