Opinion on 87 528e ZF Autotrans ...

I have an 87 528e with 165,000 miles on it. The trans just started slipping
over the weekend. If I hit the accelerator the RPMs flair and then the
tranny seems to catch up but the entire car shudders. Spoke with a mechanic
and as soon as he heard the year, make and mileage info he said I was lucky
to get that many miles out of the trans. Appears this is common for the
ZF!? Estimated repair cost is $2500 to $2800 in the San Fran Bay Area. Car
is in "Fair" condition. Engine OK with new timing belt, etc.. Looking for
opinions ... to fix or not to fix. That is the question! (Serves me right
for getting an Auto Trans. All my other cars were 3-series with 5 speed.
NEVER any problems.)

Thanks in advance.
John