<E30> brake booster vacuum lines

My brake booster has a vacuum line that runs to a valve then splits in
two: one goes to the intake manifold, the other meets with the rubber
intake boot then goes to the manifold.

Can someone explain what the valve does?  Why is the system setup this way?

I'm trying to understand this so I can do some troubleshooting:  my car
makes a whirring/buzzing noise on the first cold startup of the day....
then the brake boost kicks in (takes about 5-10seconds of driving).  I
also seem to have a mysterious vacuum leak despite ALL new gaskets and
rubber... except for these booster hoses.  Maybe the two are related?

Thanks for any info,
Rob