head

I used the stock gaskets after a resurfacing, there is a height measurement
if you really want to persue it, but my dealer buddy said after one
resurfacing he'd go stock.. I did, no problem.

.1 to .15 mm is about .004" to .006"...a human hair is .002-.003" so you
probably can't reduce the combustion chamber's volume enough to raise the
compression ratio significantly, but using the .3 mm thicker one probably
won't reduce it much either..  If you really are an engineering type, figure
the ratio  of swept volume in the cylinder  to the size of the combustion
chamber plus the gasket thickness, minus  the  loss from the resurfacing..
with the thin gasket and the thick gasket..

I'd be surprised if you got much of a % difference.

I once did that, but can't remember the results, but I think the bottom line
is either will work

I used a factory kit which was the whole head set..the thick gasket was only
available as a single part, so I would have needed to order all other
gaskets separately.

I used BMW the second time, Elwing from Bavarion auto the first time.. my
dealer bud looked at that set and said it was identical.
Rob Wrote>>>>>My cylinder head (M20 engine) was resurfaced, and about 0.1 to
0.15mm
was removed.  0.3mm is the maximum BMW recommends.  Should I use the
original-sized head gasket (1.75mm thick) or the larger sized (2.05mm
thick) gasket?

Also, should I use a gasket sealer with a resurfaced cylinder head?  I
was told to use a high-tack spray from Permatex, but I'm not sure if
this is a good idea.>>>

I have used Hi tack, but I think I put it together dry the last time I
changed my m30.. at 224k miles., as the gasket I used at 140k miles had
failed (hi tack used)

I have read that the head gaskets are impregnated with a special kind of
sealer, and designed to run dry..but I don't remember where I read this, and
I think it is not BMW specific.  In general, you won't go far wrong if you
follow the Bently , Haynes, or Chilton procedures to the letter, unless the
gasket kit comes with directions, in which case I follow them.

I once ran a 1.5 mm thicker head gasket in a Volvo b30 marine application,
and reduced the compression enough to run on regular gas and stop the
detonation problem I was having under load.

Dave Leonard

HTH