  From: GRobWorkII@domain.elided
  To: ron@domain.elided ; bmw@domain.elided
  Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 4:14 PM
  Subject: RE: E28 Bumpers & Lipo surgery...

  Ron,

  I did a writeup of the procedure 4-5 years ago on Chris Graff's M535i
list.
  No idea if it was archived or not.

  Basically, you get yourself some goggles (the fluid in the bumper shocks
  tastes OK, but you do not want it in your eyes) and a drill.  Then you
slide
  under the car...

  Drill a hole (1/8th to 1/4 inch will do just fine) in the male slider
shaft
  of each bumper shock - but back away from the female sleeve (as the sleeve
  sliding over your hole will block the escape of compression agents...)

  As soon as you get through the shock chamber, a foulness will spray out
from
  the fronts.  (The foulness in my rear shocks had completely gelled by
1998,
  and emerged as more of a particulate, white & opaque maggot-looking slop.
  cannot be certain, but I assume that the rear & front shocks are
pressurized
  with some different means of foulness...  The rears were more like
drilling a
  hole in a golf ball.  (Yes, I must have been very bored to know this.)
  Regardless,  the stuff in the rears tastes just as bad as in the fronts,
so
  do not succumb to any temptation to remove your goggles.

  That is about it.  I GENTLY used an elderly TRX Michellin (draped over the
  front bumper) to compress the front bumper shocks before taking the photos
  displayed on Graff's website.  (Alpine white '85 535i w/Borbet wheels.)
The
  rear bumper slid in with a few impacts and stayed perfectly solid.  You
could
  tap & bolt the shocks to lock them, should there be enough play to let
them
  slide about, but mine were rusty enough to stay put, for good.

  You should also realize that you are tossing out any Federal "5 MPH safety
  zone" compliance to any future owners of your vehicle.  I suppose that I
  should now deny any responsibility, yada yada yada, and state for the
record
  that I do not recommend the procedure I have just described.  But, being
as
  you are in Canada, I suppose I'm safe.  Right? I AM safe now, RIGHT???

  Workman
  '88 M3