Re: Brake questions

Alex, my rotors are of unknown brand and I already had them turned 3 years
ago. At that time I also installed PBR Metalmaster pads all around after
reading good comments from the web. I'm not happy with the Metalmaster. The
only good side I found to them, is that they don't dust and wear slowly,
but that's it. I can't even lock the wheels on dry pavement (ABS doesn't
even kick in). The only time I can lock the wheels and have the ABS do its
work, is under the rain!. I have wider and taller tires but I don't tink
this is the cause. (215-55-16 in front, 225-50-16 at the back).

I know I won't be that fast. I do have a 4 point roll bar though. It's just
that I think my car brakes less than stock and with the heat generated with
frequent hard braking, I don't want to find in a corner that I have no
brake anymore.

Thanks
Michel.

"Michel Drainville" <MDrainville@domain.elided> wrote:
> 1. I want to change my front pads and rotors on my E30 (91 318ic) in
> preparation for my first driving school.

Michel,
First things first. Are your rotors and pads too thin right now?
If so, do swap the worn out parts.
If not, leave them alone. You are unlikely to be going too fast in a 318ic
(BTW do you have a roll bar?) at your first DE to require a brake upgrade.

> I've been told by racers to use BMW rotors with Pagid pads (best setup
> for driving school and autocross). I checked my local auto parts for
> comparasion, and their rotors, made by Aimco, are half the price of those
> of BMW.
> Why? Both are a piece of steel turned on a lathe??  What's the
difference?
> Comments are welcome.

Quality control and manufacturing precision are two factors that come to
mind. It really sucks to install cheap new rotors just to realize that they
are either unbalanced or warped from the factory.
For known to be good parts, consider ordering from www.ultimategarage.com .
Steve G may not be the cheapest place in town (though he frequently is),
but he never ever sells junk.

> 2. A long time ago, I heard that it was possible to build your own
> big brake kit for E30 using Volvo rotors and I don't know what brand
> of caliper. Does anyone remembers what were the parts needed and the
> year/model of the cars they came from? I already have 16" wheels.
> I have experience in fabrication (if caliper relocating brackets need to
be
> made), so it sounds like a feasable project to me.

Great many things are possible, but are they necessary?
You are unlikely to need larger brakes anytime before you go endurance
racing. Larger calipers will not improve your brake distances (track pads
and better tires will), but would offer bigger heat sinks for repeated
heavy braking under race conditions. That is not something you are likely
to encounter at your first 1-10 DEs.

alex f
'89 325i
'95 M3