<E38> 740il dash LCD display on the fritz

Half or more of the LCD display for my 740iL are
illegible.  Only half the trip odometer, the main
odometer, and half the information display below it
are legible.  Someone told me that the dealer would
have to replace the entire display unit for about
$800.  Is that true?  Anyone experience this before?
I'm wondering if it is a simple case of bad LCD
illumination bulbs (if BMW uses them), or perhaps bad
PCB traces, etc?

- -Will
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com