[E28] Radio won't take code

I was on the list for several months last year, and I've had to take a
fairly lengthy hiatus while I took a new job.

Anyway, Thursday our battery died in our 528e, and when I replaced the
battery, the radio wouldn't take the security code.  I have entered it
successfully in the past.  Some things that may or may not be noteworthy
are:

- -There is a cassette adapter for a portable CD player in the radio.  (Is
there some way to get that out without a funtioning radio?  It doesn't want
to just pull out.)
- -The radio emits a beep only sometimes when you push a button.  IOW, when I
push the first digit of the code, it beeps, but it doesn't beep again until
maybe the third or fourth digit.  I have also tried pressing the next digit
in the code repeatedly until it beeps, and then moving on to the next digit.
(Does the beep mean it has accepted that digit of the code?)
- -We spent about 10 hours in the car over the weekend, so I had several
opportunities to try again after leaving the ignition on for an hour, and
the results were always the same.
- -I don't have the special tool to get the radio out.  If the radio is junk,
I'll probably just force something else to fit the 5-sided socket the tool
fits.  Do I turn it CCW to remove the stereo?

Hope that's clear enough...sorry for the length of the post.  Thanks in
advance.

Aaron
'87 528e
'88 325is?