E39 CD Changer / Radio options

My Changer was swiped a while back and I never replaced it. Now the
time has come to do so. Are there other alternatives (3rd party, other
OEM mfgs.) other than going to BMW? My DSP equipped stereo is less than
impressive and will probably someday be replaced - for the time being
I'd like to know what other changers interface with the radio in my
540. It's been a while since I did anything with car stereos. For those
of you that have replaced the head unit - what would you suggest??

Thanks!!

Dave C
98 540/6spd
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com