RE: Help! Anti-Theft dilemma

"Toby Smith" <tobys@domain.elided> wrote:

> My e30 (87 325es) will not start.  The car has never asked me for
> codes before, and I have installed a new battery with no trouble, but
> I fear that I may have re-connected the anti-theft wiring.

Highly unlikely.

> The symptom is absolutely no spark from the coil, or at any plug.  The
> car turns over very well, and has been driven daily for a week.  I have
> checked voltage at the coil, as well as inspected the position and speed
> sensors.

Let's keep it simple: you have 12V at the coil but nothing at the plugs =>
dead coil.
I think Bentley has a few additional coil checks. Run them to verify.

> I have no idea what the code may be, as I am the third or fourth owner,
> and have never needed it before.  Anyone know any tricks to disable it
> or fool it?

The user is prompted to enter the 'code' each time the feature is
activated. Each time the battery is removed OBC reboots and the code
setting is erased. Look for the source of your problem unless you have a
reason to believe you had managed to fry the OBC brain and it is
permanently stuck in the 'I'm stolen mode'.

alex f