Re: Air Pumps

"William R. Dieter" <dieter@domain.elided> wrote:
> >Howard Siegel wrote:
> >
> >>I am thinking about getting an air pump that plugs in to the
> >>cigarette lighter ...
> >>Does anyone have any recommendations pro/con for a third
> >>party compressor/pump?
> >>

> >http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43479
> >
> >At 19.99 it's nearly disposable.  Also guarantees your popularity at
> >autocrosses, and in the paddock at driver's schools.
> >- --
> >Bob Sutterfield
> >
> For $20 more you can get one that shuts off automatically at the right
> pressure. The auto shutoff lets you do something else while the tire is
> inflating, which can take a while with the 12V compressors if you are
> adding more than a few psi.

Bill,
I'm yet to see a 12V compressor with anything other than a wildly
inaccurate pressure meter.
The one's I've tried (from $4.99 WallMart special to borrowed $99 vanity
editions) were anywhere from 3-10 psi off the built-in gauge's indicated
pressure.

Howard,
Get a cheap compressor and a quality pressure gauge. $1.99 pencil type is
actually pretty accurate, but $30 ones with a built in pressure release
valve will make the job easier.

alex f