Re: E30 Rear door locks and mystery button

Monty Hogan <hoganm@domain.elided> wrote:

> I'm finally getting around to looking into a problem on my wife's 325i
> 4-door.
> From the time we bought the vehicle last year, the rear door locks have
> never operated in unison with the front or trunk locking mechanism. What
> should I be checking for first in figuring out why the rear door locks
are
> not operational?

Monty,
If it's anything like my wife's E36, you are on the market for a new $40
lock solenoid.
I've never had a problem with any of my E30 door locks, but her E36 had 3
of them replaced under warranty and this is the 4th one that got away.
BTW, replacing locks on E36 rear doors is a royal PITA. I sure hope E30s
are easier.

> Also, in the front console there's a rectangular to the left of the
HAZARD
> and DEFOG buttons which looks to show an icon of a lightning bolt. I have
no
> idea what it is, can't find it in manuals, and the previous owner thinks
> it's an electric circuit reset button. Is this correct?

It's the window motor circuit breaker.
The theory being that if you have kids messing around with window up/down
buttons you can kill them all with one switch before they get a chance to
test the window motor 'back off before your break a limb' threshold.

HTH,
alex f