1991 325i se (E36) Rough Idle and other things..

Hi all,
     I've just discovered this list and reading some previous posts it
sounds like you are a knowledgeble group, so I wonder if anyone can help
with this problem.......When Idling the car feels lumpy and pulsates
between approx 650 and 850 rpm, Also it hesitates under acceleration
especialy just after gear changes(say between 2-3k), I have recently
replaced the plugs(no fouling on the old ones) and carried out an oil
service. I also have an 87 E30 325i and when driving this it feels to
have more low down grunt than the E36...is this normal and just a
feature of the 24v engine? Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Mike Jones