A/C 87 325e

  The A/C leaks.  Again.  The A/C has been the most problematic system on
this vehicle, my daily driver for 14 years now (well, when I'm not riding
the bike.)   I recharged in April and it held for about a week.   System
was converted to r134a (1998) and both the evaporator (1998) and condenser
(1999) were replaced by my local indy shop due to pinholes.

Today I bought a fancy $50 UV leak detection kit from the local auto chain
(PepBoys) and looked for old dye stains before doing anything (who knows
what the shop did or what dye stains they left behind).   I then put a can
of dye-only charge and a can of 134a into the system and looked again. I
feel like one of the guys that CSI TV show with the yellow glasses on!

There appears to be a leak around where the high-side hose block bolts to
the compressor.  Also there might be a leak at the high-side test port, but
I forgot to look there before putting in the dye.  Condensor looks clean, I
did not tear apart the dash to check out that area around the evaporator.

I had suspected compressor seals since that's the only major thing that
wasn't replaced!  So, I have been mentally preparing myself to replace the
compressor.  But if it just an o-ring/gasket at the host block joint that
could save some $$.  But before I think I'm getting off easy let me pose a
few questions to the list:

   (Sorry if I'm starting up an old debate - I've been off-list for 5
months due to travelling...if you want reply offlist and I will summarize
for the list.)

Will a replacement 134a compressor perform better then the existing
original factory r12 compressor?  Note the system didn't seem to perform as
well after the r134a conversion, but it is hard to tell - the system never
seemed really good from day one.

Might there be shaft seal leaks under the clutch that I can't see?

Where do compressors usually go bad?

Replacement compressors seem to be able to be had for under $400
(bimmerparts.com - no relation/interest, just the local guy I sometimes buy
parts from.)   Should I just put a new one in?

Thanks,

Tony.