Re[2]: duracool & exploding BMW air conditioning systems

On Sat, 01 Jun 2002 17:53:30 +0100 Henri Baccouche <henrib@domain.elided> wrote:

> Gasoline is also extremely flammable...... at 30+ PSI.
> But, we don't have any problems with fuel injection.
> and Btw, HFC-134a is also quite flammable......
> Why did the government select the rather toxic ( testicular cancer?
> etc......)
> Dupont HFC-134a
> over the hydrocarbon refrigerant alternatives.....?
>
> The reports out of Australia regarding the hydrocarbon refrigerants in
> cars have
> been very positive......
> I wonder why this cheaper, less toxic ,very effective solution was not
> pursued  or
> studied over here before HFC-134a was selected......
>
> Who is the EPA protecting : Dupont or us ?

this is drifting OT a bit, but i'll contribute what i know.

apparently, the loudest single lobby for 134a was the aftermarket HVAC
industry; they saw more money to be made from complete 134a replacement
systems than in repairing/recharging R-12 systems with R-12 alternatives.

they put a lot of lobbying time and energy into killing anything that
competed with 134a.

richard
- --