R12 A/C

88 325 is
  My A/C had a leak in the sensor that is mounted at the lower right front
area in the engine compartment.  I replaced the sensor some time ago and
recharged with R12.
  Over the years the R12 has leaked out and I was told that the assembly where
the sensor screws into has a thin wedge shaped solder extrusion coming out of
the assembly.  Before charging again, this assembly should be replaced and
strong consideration to changing from R12 should be given.  Since this was
quoted at $300 for a 14 year old car that I just finished spending $500 for
water pump, timing belt, tensioner and Inspection II, I am wondering if there
is another way other than getting hot.

TIA

George Barrowcliff,
Amerisource Bergen Corporation