e28 watersports

I've got an '86 535i, and it has a stalling problem that shows up after a
visit to the car wash (water sprayed from beneath into engine compartment),
and that occasionally appears if driving in slushy conditions.  The engine
drops to an erratic sub 1000 rpm, and doesn't respond to the gas pedal
position.  However, if one violently pumps the gas pedal the engine
occasionally catches and races, but then quickly returns to the low idle.

The problem disappears after about a 10 minute wait (I live in Denver, and
things dry quickly).

So it seems like an electrical fault, something exposed in the engine
compartment, maybe related to gas pedal feedback?  Any input is welcome.

John Schaefer - jschaefer@domain.elided <mailto:jschaefer@domain.elided>