Re: bmw-digest V9 #2134 - Synthetic oil in an older vehicle

The point I would like to debate is the synthetic oil wear issue.......

My machinist thinks that the clearances in engines which were designed for
conventional motor
oils are to big for synthetic .....The syn oil drains back too fast in these
engines.
New engines designed for Syn oils have much tighter tolerances.....

As far as the wear issue..........Conventional SH/SJ oil today changed at 2500-3000
Miles , also performs
very well. On the M20 motor this is around 300-350k miles with conventional oil.

At which point most of the oil seals will be shot no matter what oil is used......

What is your SYN oil change routine?

Henri