Re: Synthetic oil in an older vehicle

Ed,
These statements are mostly remnants of old thought about synthetics.
I've had cars with even more miles than yours switch to synthetics with
no problems and I've had ones having leaks at 50K miles.  If the car
leaks, it's not because of the oil.  It's the gaskets and seals.

I've had an engine leak oil with Mobil1 15W50 and Castrol 20W50 dyno oil
and stop leaking with Penzoil 20W50 dyno oil for about 10K miles and
then the leak came back.  We put Lubro Moly 5W40 synthetic in the same
engine and the leak stopped again.  I'm sure it'll eventually come back.
So there's no one formula.

All I know is that synthetic is better than not and premium synthetics,
the best of which are made by Lubro Moly, are better than other
synthetics.  For those who still want to use a better oil but not go
synthetic, Lubro Moly makes a 10W40 with a special hydrocrack process
that results in an incredible base stock and they add moly to it.  No
leaks, no burning and increased mileage.  Higher quality oils, filters
and extended drains are the wave of the future.

Regards,
Gary

Inter Auto Parts, Inc.
Parts and Accessories for European Automobiles
http://www.interautoparts.com