Re: Synthetic oil in an older vehicle

120k with Chevron/Shell/Exxon conventional 20W-50 on my 86 325......with
2.5-4k oil changes.
When I sent the cylinder head in for inspection ( pulled to fix a head
gasket oil leak......)
the guides were within spec......(no significant wear was measured.)

The head was a little sludged........from using the dino juice, but the
moral of the story
is that conventional motor oil does the job. The little sludge residue is
harmless from a mechanical
standpoint.

IMO, the by products from combustion ( acids, water etc....) are the worst
things for an engine.
I would rather change cheap dinosaur oil more frequently..... (and recycle
the oil of course!)

5w Thin Synthetic oil will leak sooner than 20w Dinosaur oil,
but the seal was going to leak anyway.......

Henri