Re: 1985 E28 Oxygen Sensor

The O2 sensor measures oxygen content of the post-catalytic converter gases,
and sends an indication to the engine computer to make the fuel mixture rich
or lean.  It's a closed-loop control system.

If your O2 sensor is disconnected, there is no feedback mechanism, so you're
running in an open-loop mode.  The engine computer may end up running the
engine on a mixture that's too rich.  This can result in overloading the
catalytic converter, causing it to overheat and melt (the internal
catalyst), possibly forming a big slug that'll partially block your exhaust
path.  A blocked exhaust system is a BAD thing.

With O2 sensors costing $50-115 (depending on the type), it's alot cheaper
than a catalytic converter, and it's easier to replace, too!  If it wasn't
necessary, it wouldn't have been part of the engine management system.

- -rb