2001 E46 brake feel?

Hello,
I recently test drove a used 2001 E46. Compared to the 2002, it definitely
had more (over) boosted steering. But it also seemed that the brake system
was more boosted - the brakes seemed overly sensitive, and a light touch
would stop fairly hard. This was not the spongy feeling of a poorly-bled
brake pedal, but instead was the light touch of a 70s Cadillac. Was this our
imagination, or is there really a difference in the brakes between the 2001
and the 2002?
Thanks
Greg
g_steinke@domain.elided