RE: Best metal conductor cleaner?

- -----Original Message-----
From: Tom Borden [mailto:te.borden@domain.elided]

> Tried sanding all the male connections on my power roof
> switch and the roof began operating correctly again -- it
> was only going back to the first stop, then bucking and
> failing when asked to go to the second.
>
> I think I'd like to go thorugh the car and clean all of
> the electrical connections I come across...
>
> Any tricks to cleaning female parts?
>
> Any commercial cleaner I should use? Or is there a Martha
> Stewart solution, e.g., sandpaper and lemon juice?

Be careful of "cleaning" electrical contacts with sandpaper.
Many such contacts are plated with an extremely thin layer
of corrosion resistant material which can easily be
completely removed.  Then you are left with a contact that
will slowly (or quickly, depending on the base metal)
deteriorate.

Clearly, if the contact has failed, there may be no choice
but to do this.  However, this is one of those places where
might NOT want to try to fix things that aren't broken.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner