RE: bmw-digest V9 #2101

I replaced my steering rack about 2 months ago and there are no bushings
associated with the steering rack. My car is a 91 but I have an 86 325ES as
well and there are no bushings there either. I suggest that you might want
to look at your lower control arm bushings or ball joints as the location of
the clunk.
Brad Purvis
BMW CCA

I had my car, E30 1987 325is, up on the lift and
school the other day tring to track down a klunking
sound that would happen when the right side tire would
go over bumps. I think I have found out that the power
steering rack is missing a bushing on the right side
of the rack. There is a braket on the right side. It
looks like there should be a bushing in there but
there is none. Any one know if there is a bushing on
the power steering rack? If so know a place that sell
a Urethane replacement. I looked through the BMP
catalog and didn't see any.

Thanks
Kyle