RE: Minis

- -----Original Message-----
From: Harry Hargrave [mailto:d7nn7s@domain.elided]

> Its worth mentioning that the new "Minis" are 1.9ft.
> longer than the highly sucessful BMC/Rover Minis,that
> ceased production in 1999.In spite of the refinements,
> BMW has managed to discard the very feature that
> defined a Mini:its size.

I agree with you that it is not a "real" Mini, but
a loose interpretation of the original.  My guess is
that in order to sell in today's market, they had to
make it more crashworthy, put a bigger engine into it
and give it slightly more interior volume.  This all
conspired to make it significantly larger than the
"real" Mini.  It is even pretty heavy at around 2500
lb.

It is still the smallest car available in the U.S.,
though.  It has a 97.1" wheelbase, which is actually
longer than the old Gen2 CRX at 90.6, the Suzuki
Swift/Geo Metro at ~93" and even the older VW Golf/
Jetta at something like 89" if memory serves.
However, at 142.8" or 143.9" long, depending on model,
it is certainly the shortest car out there.  The CRX
was 148.5" long and the Metro was 149.4".  At least
the non-existent front/rear overhangs hold true to the
original -- it wouldn't look right if they didn't.

> (could it be a warmed over VW Golf platform?).

No -- it is a new design.  While the front suspension
is a typical strut, the rear is actually a pretty good
independent design with decent geometry.  The new Mini
will likely have no trouble outhandling the VWs.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner