Re: WAS: E30 DME update - NOW: Need clutch

> On a side note though, it looks like I need a new clutch.  Sachs seems
> to be the OEM choice for just over $200 in parts.  Does anyone recommend
> differently for a little more aggressive driving?

There may be a heavy duty clutch available but I missed your first post so I
don't know what type of car you drive.  The kit should run no more than
$225, if it does then go elsewhere.

> When I did the clutch on my 91 318, I also was told to buy Sachs since it
> is a OEM manufacturer. But after verifying with my BMW dealer, where I
have
> 15% discount, the price of the original clutch was the same. Even without
> the discount, I would have taken the BMW clutch since the difference was
so
> small. I have nothing against Sachs, may be they have the same quality as
> BMW, may be not, I don't know, but when I buy non BMW replacement  parts,
> I'm looking for a bigger difference in price than that.

Not sure where you went to for the OEM kit but it should be quite a bit less
than the dealer, even if your dealer gives you a good price break.  What
non-dealer shop did you look at and how much did they want for it?  How much
did you pay at the dealer?

As far as quality, there is no difference.  You simply pay more for the
Roundel logo on it.  If it's OEM then in 99% of the cases it is the same
part that BMW buys only minus the logo.  The other 1% may apply to special
applications or limited production stuff but even then it's typically the
same.

Jack Money
#86 JS M3
'89 325iX