E34 Clutch question

Car in question is a '92 535i.  Completely stock aside from
snow tires on steel wheels.  ~113K miles.

While starting the car this morning, the clutch was refusing
to dis-engage.  Needing to get to work, and with no spare car,
I drove it anyway -- doing the old starter-motor-in-first and
then match-revving to shift thing.  By the time the car was
warmed up and I was cruising down the highway, it started
working fine.

The only odd thing that might contribute was that we had about
4-6" of snow in my part of New England during my commute home
last night and I recall slightly more difficult shifting than
usual toward the end of my commute ((i.e. needing more force
than usual to get into gears).  This didn't really register
as a clutch issue until this morning, however -- I remember
thinking that it was about time to get that Redline put in...

I haven't had a chance to really look at it nor have I had a
chance to even look at my Bentley to see how the system is
set up.

Any thoughts?  Impending doom?

Thanks,
Mike Kohlbrenner