[no subject]

<michael_kohlbrenner@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: E23 Wheel recommendation

- - -----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Elmore [mailto:elmorekevin@domain.elided]

> I've got an old seven series...
>
> Is there any special reason I should go up to 16 instead of 15,
> rather than looks of course.

I don't imagine that an '86 7-series has brakes large enough that
15" wheels would be too small, but that can be a consideration.

>From a performance perspective, you end up with more turn-in
response with larger wheels due to the stiffness of the shorter
sidewalls -- all else being equal of course.  Depending on the
suspension, your car may or may not be up to the task of
extracting the increased cornering traction that a lower profile
tire can give.  My feeling is that 16" is about optimum for the
'80s vintage big sedans with stock suspensions.  Going to 17"
or 18" without significant suspension mods can actually detract
from cornering traction.  They also get pretty heavy.

16" will give a harsher ride than 15".

16" tires usually cost more than 15".

I would recommend looking at the tires available in the appropriate
15" and 16" sizes.  While they might cost a bit more, I think that
the selection of performance tires is better in 16" (depending on
exact size) than in 15" and as time goes on, that trend should
only move more in favor of 16".  If you don't care about
performance, then this is not a big deal -- there will likely be
perfectly serviceable tires in 15" for a long time.

That's about it.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner