e36 m3 (stock alarm) no audible alarm

Hello All
My alarm on my 95 M3 is not functioning fully(it's been like this since i've
had the car). The lights will flash but the audible alarm does not sound
when arming and disarming. Once in a while i will hear a faint sound but for
the most part it does not sound. It's like there is a volume setting that
was turned down or off. If I activate the alarm by trying to open the door I
can hear it start out as a faint siren and it stays low barely noticeable. I
went under the hood to check the speaker? for the alarm. I disconnected the
connector and reconnected. I even took out the speaker and inspected it
closely but there was nothing really that I saw that could be done with it
assuming it is the alarm speaker. Is there anything else I can check that
can be causing it not to sound normal(loud)?

Thanks for your help in this matter

Paul '95 ///M3