re: <E36> Thunking noise problem of the week

I own an E30. I had a similar problem for the longest time.
It ended up being the plate that the rear shock fits and bolts into. This plate about 8" by 8" (of
a different gauge size) is separately welded onto the body of the car. Mine had vibrated loose
because of rust etc. The solution for me was to fix the body work where the plate fit into and
weld it back into place. this solved my noise.
Good luck,
Henry brandel
84' 325e