Re: Rear shocks? 92 325i

Doug,
Bilstein is still what is used to be. Which is to say one of the best
shocks you can buy for your car. The other solid choice are Koni shocks,
but they since they some in either single or double adjustable variety
those are typically a bit more expensive.
Wanna bet that your reputed independent shops sells Boges and not Bilsteins
and that has something to do with their recommendation?
In my admittedly limited experience with OE Boges (sample size of three
BMWs), you get what you pay for: they do not last. Two sets of my Boges had
failed within 40K miles on my two E36 cars and were past gone by the time I
got my E30 with 89K miles on them.
That E30 got Bilstein HDs soon afterwards and now has 203K miles, 110K of
those on the Bilstein HDs. I was replacing rear shock mounts on that car
the other weekend and the shocks are as strong as new. And yes, they do
come with a lifetime warranty but I would overestimate its importance
unless you will be swapping the suspension yourself. If you are not a DIY
suspension guy, most of your cost would be in the labor and time involved
it taking the shocks out, keeping the car on the blocks until free lifetime
replacements arrive and putting the replacement shocks back on.
As far as recommendations go, the best one I can give you is to join a
local BMW club and seek out and drive local cars with modified suspension.
Pick the one you like best and do the same thing to your car. Either that,
or play it safe and go with Bilstein HDs and stock springs.

YMMV,
alex f

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           dmax            |
|         |           <dmax@bellatlant|
|         |           ic.net>         |
|         |           Sent by:        |
|         |           owner-bmw@digest|
|         |           .net            |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           02/20/02 10:01  |
|         |           AM              |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      bmw@domain.elided                                                                                |
  |        cc:                                                                                                    |
  |        Subject: Rear shocks? 92 325i                                                                          |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Folks,

Re: '92 325i (manu: 8/'92)

My dealer quoted me $74.25 each for rear shocks--p/n: BM33-52-2-227-488
Says Bilstein.

An independent, well reputed BMW shop says that Bilstein isn't what it
used to be and that Boge (which I believe were the original) is better.
Also, the dealer only gives a year warranty; if I buy them separately I
get a lifetime warranty from most places I've found on the web and the
dealer will install them for me.

So, my question is (and I'm sure it's been beaten to death on this list)
is which shock to go with?  I don't really want to spend the extra money
for Konis and have been fine with my ride.  If I buy them, which one?
I've seen Bilsteins on the web listed as sport, heavy duty, and with no
other spec--anyone got a part number and/or recommendation for or
against Boge.

Thanks much!

Doug