Re: M3 Newbie Q's and advice

Here it goes, I will answer the best I can all mistakes are my own. And I
refer you to the following 2 sites to assist you with some answers:

http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/
http://www.eurospeed.org/e36m3faq.pdf
vice

> I'm looking into buying a m3.  I'd ideally want a Coupe with automatic.
> Which years offer me this option?  I've only seen one so far, and it was
> a 1997.  How does the auto trans hold up on these cars?  How hard are
> these to find?

These are very difficult to find stock. Only 1600 (MY95/6) came with auto
trans from the factory. Most of what you see is a regular 318/323/325 auto
done up in M3 trim.

> Personally, I wouldn't mind the 5 speed, but the girlfriend is worried
> the 5 speed won't shift smoothly, and will make her nauseous like my
> turbo eclipse does.    Any comments here?

Please don't take this personally, but the 5-speed shifts fine. Mostly it is
technique that causes such an affliction. Ask my wife about the last guy I
dusted and muffed my shifts.... Besides, High-G accelerating can cause
nausea in those not use to it.

> My budget is less than 25K.
> For those of you with the 4 door auto, how do you like them?  Any
> regrets to purchasing the 4 door auto m3's?

Can't answer this one, I have a 2 door.....

> Also, what should I be looking out for specifically when looking at
> these used cars?  What's usually the first to go in these vehicles?
> Common problems, etc?

Refer to the above links for this. I will mention the 95 plastic water
pumps...

> Also, I remember one of my friends in College used to have one of these
> cars.  I believe he had a 96.  The seats were black leather, and had the
> m3 lines "///" embroidered in the seats.  Really cool.  Which years
> offered this as an option?  Is that part of a special package?  I
> haven't seen that on any that I've looked at recently.

AFAIK, the stripes are in the seats of all E36 M3's. Along with the cool
motorsport steering wheel.

> And lastly, any recommendations on how/where to find these cars?  I'd
> like to buy one at a dealer so I could get a warranty of some kind.
> None of the dealers near me (orange county) have any older than 98.
> Where are the 97's and 96's?  How important would it be to get a
> warranty on a 96 or 97 m3 with ~60K miles?

Look around, many independent shops offer warranties on their cars. And BMW
usually only sells the 3 previous model years as CPO cars from the dealers.
Older than that and you must go to a Carmax or the many other ways to buy a
car...

R Ehrlich
98 M3, Alpine White