M3 Newbie Q's and advice

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking into buying a m3.  I'd ideally want a Coupe with automatic.
Which years offer me this option?  I've only seen one so far, and it was
a 1997.  How does the auto trans hold up on these cars?  How hard are
these to find?

Personally, I wouldn't mind the 5 speed, but the girlfriend is worried
the 5 speed won't shift smoothly, and will make her nauseous like my
turbo eclipse does.    Any comments here?

My budget is less than 25K.
For those of you with the 4 door auto, how do you like them?  Any
regrets to purchasing the 4 door auto m3's?

Also, what should I be looking out for specifically when looking at
these used cars?  What's usually the first to go in these vehicles?
Common problems, etc?

Also, I remember one of my friends in College used to have one of these
cars.  I believe he had a 96.  The seats were black leather, and had the
m3 lines "///" embroidered in the seats.  Really cool.  Which years
offered this as an option?  Is that part of a special package?  I
haven't seen that on any that I've looked at recently.

And lastly, any recommendations on how/where to find these cars?  I'd
like to buy one at a dealer so I could get a warranty of some kind.
None of the dealers near me (orange county) have any older than 98.
Where are the 97's and 96's?  How important would it be to get a
warranty on a 96 or 97 m3 with ~60K miles?

Thanks in advance!
Hopefully someone can answer all these for me ;)
- -Mike