Rough idle after replacing airfilter - solution <E30>

A couple of weeks ago I cleaned and replaced my K & N filter on my '91 E30
325iCA.  It was dark and things were a tight fit.  The next morning the
engine ran fine at speed, but at idle it kept surging until the the
Motronics system took over and smoothed things out.  I made an appointment
to see my mechanic next week to see what I might have disconnected or if
the filter wasn't set right.

After stewing on the issue for some time, I decided to peek under the hood
yesterday thinking this sure sounded like a vacuum hose leak.  Of course I
was more inspired by our unusually warm 55 degree day and no clouds (a
rarity for a winter day in Ohio).  I also replaced the rear stock pads
with AXXIS/Repco deluxe pads since I had all my tools rolled out.

The airbox seemed fine, all clips were secure.  Then I noticed that one of
the small air lines off of the main "bellows" that leads from the Air Flow
Meter had small stress cracks from my enthusiasm at removing the air
filter box two weeks ago.

I filled the cracks with a small amount of silicone and today, after the
silicone has cured, the idle is back to normal.  I disconnected the
battery for a while to allow the brains to reset and reestablish the
correct mixtures.

Geiger
http://greetings.yahoo.com