Re: E36 Struts & Shocks

>As you have pointed out there are some E36 cars riding on OEM Sachs shocks
>that may very well last longer than Boges.

Fichtel & Sachs merged with Boge in 1993.  The only differences
between the two brands now are the labels and the packaging.

>Can someone provide the specs on the struts and shocks for the Sport
>Suspension on my '96 328is coupe?  Are they Boge or Bilstein?  Provide part
>numbers if possible.

As Alex already pointed out, the OE shocks are made by Sachs/Boge.
The non-sport suspension shocks are the equivalent of Boge Automatic
shocks, while the sport-suspension shocks are Boge Turbo shocks.

>The E36 OE Boge shocks are widely regardless as a POS that wear out in
>under 50K miles and should not be considered when shopping for a
>replacement for that reason alone. Another good reason to look aftermarket
>is the price. OEM Boges are hideously expensive. You can get a set of
>lifetime warranted and infinitely superior Bilsteins or Konis (rebound
>adjustable) for much less than what a dealer will charge for OE Boges.

While Bilsteins and Konis are undoubtedly fine shocks, they also cost
a pretty penny.  Boge shocks might not be as "good," but I doubt that
BMW would knowingly spec POS parts for their cars.

Suspension preference is highly subjective.  Some people prefer the
ride characteristics of the original spec shocks, though they may
ultimately lack the longevity of the B&K's.  Some people think
they're too soft.

Both Koni's and Bilstein's Sport shocks are firmer than the OE sport
shocks and are commonly paired with aftermarket springs.  From
personal experience, the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks are roughly
equivalent to the OE sport shocks, but have more compression damping
(as per their philosophy).  Bilstein now also offers a Touring shock,
but I have no experience with them.

The OE (aka Genuine BMW) Boge sport shocks are pretty expensive at
MSRP (a little under $600 for a set of four).  With a good dealer
mail order dealer discount, they can be had for a little over $400.
When purchased and installed through a BMW dealer, they carry a
lifetime warranty; otherwise it's 12 months.

The equivalent OEM (Original Equipment Mfg) Boge shocks available
from aftermarket sources cost less than the genuine BMW shocks.  I
recently ordered a set for $300 shipped, directly to me from
Sachs/Boge's warehouse in Atlanta.  They carry a lifetime warranty.

At full price, the BMW shocks are out of the question.  At the
discounted price, the Bilsteins and Konis are a better deal, but a
different feel.  For my needs and preferences, I got a good deal on
the OEM Boges and are happy with them thus far.  Don't forget to
factor in the cost of installation.  Pick your poison and choose
accordingly.

Herman