Re: <E36> Differential / Road noise

If this happens while accelerating and gets worse as you push it, then it
may be the differential couplings... i had to replace mine a while back...
I had to take it to a dealer....

Nicolas Roman
Senior Engineering Consultant
North Miami Beach, FL.

                    Anup Lakare
                    <alakare@manh        To:     "BMW (E-mail)" <bmw@domain.elided>
                    .com>                cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     <E36> Differential / Road noise
                    owner-bmw@dig
                    est.net

                    02/05/2002
                    11:33 AM

Hello Group,

My '94 318i seems to be making rumbling noise after 10-15 MPH.  It seems to
be coming from the rear side, maybe from the diff. or from the road.  I
have
this feeling that the noise has grown in the last few months.  I am not
sure
if this rumbling noise is normal or if I need to replace diff oil or tires.
Currently I have Pirelli tires on and the diff oil was changed about 20000
miles ago.

Please let me know what is the best oil to use for the diff., it is a LSD
and what are the best tires to reduce road noise.  I live in Atlanta area,
so snow driving is not an issue for tire selection.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

~Anup

318i, 72,000 mi

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pic09232.gif]

- --