RE: Oil filters

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Henry Kim wrote:

> FWIW, I run Mobil 1 and use the Mann filters on my 325iX.  Never heard
> of filters specifically designed for synth oil.
>

> > Can anyone tell me if I should keep using the OEM Mann
> > filters for an E30 when running synthetic oil? The previous
> > owner was using filters made for sythetic oil. Any
> > explanations and/or insight would be appreciated.

 Common wisdom is that the OEM filters are good.  (check that oil
filter study, but it doesn't seem to have been updated in years)
 The only filter I know of off the top of my head made for synthetic
oil is the Amsoil filter.  And it's not that their filter is
oil-specific, but it has a large capacity for contaminants before it
clogs.  Amsoil is unique I think in their recommendations for extended
drain intervals (up to 35k miles) under some conditions.  Their
filters are designed to go up to 17.5k miles without clogging.
 But if you change oil often, any good filter is fine.

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro