Re: Buying a 750iL

"Mike Mehringer" <sterlingheights@domain.elided> wrote:
>  Hello All:
>
>     Just to into myself, my name is Mike in Eastern PA! :)

Hi Mike!
So, what's your name outside of Eastern PA?
;)

> Pleased to be among you guys/gals!! :)
>
>     I'm ready to buy this lovely 1988 BMW 750iL (E32).  I don't know
> much about BMWs as I've always have Mercedes vehicles.

Mike, as Henry has already pointed out, 750's are some of the most
expensive BMWs when it comes to maintenance. 12 cylinder engine is one
component, but the next time you sit in the car take a mental count of
everything that is electronically controlled. Everything from the seats to
the HVAC has at least 1/2 dozen electrical engines in them. Most of them
are 7-series and more specifically 750 specific, so the price of
replacement components is not too far from where it would have been had
they been 100% hand built.
There were a few posts on the subject on the UUC list. Try searching the
archives.
On the plus side, that level of maintenance scares most of the 7 owners
into selling their cars, so you can get one hell of a deal on old 7s.

> I'm a DIY so that's no a problem, and already found a few online sources
> for parts.  I also have a mechanic/friend who treats me very well in
terms
> of repairs and such.  This 750iL has 128,000 miles on it, was cared for
> the last 1.5 years (I am very good friends with the current owner) and
the
> car (outside of the trans rebuild) has been loyal to him.  Any
suggestions
> or warning about this vehicle?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
:)

Ask your friend to add up his repair bills over the last few years. If you
can handle the same $$$ level of maintenance, you are looking at a
magnificent highway cruiser.

good luck,
alex f