RE: ASC vs Tire size, was Early vs. Later E36 M3

>I modified the setup on my 98 E36 M3 to be that of the
>95 M3 - 235/40-17 on 17x8 on all corners. (Helps with
>understeer and turnin). I have not noticed any ASC
>kickin up to approx 100MPH. I have measured about a 2%
>difference in true speed vs indicated now (the speedo
>says 61 MPH at a true 60 MPH). Question is: normal
>tire diameter differences between manufacturers can
>easily produce this variation, it would be BAD for ASC
>to kick in at highway speed due to normal tire
>variation or slightly modified setup (such as mine).
>Do you know what the threshold for detecting wheelspin
>with ASC is? Is there a speed on the highway I should
>no exceed without ASC off?

i've also changed the wheels/tires on my 96 M3 to 17x8" for
my track wheels and 18x8" for my street wheels.  i've not
experienced ASC intervention at any speed up to an
indicated 135mph.  i know lots of people in my situation as
well that have had no ASC problems.  when changing wheels,
most everyone retains the rolling radius of the stock
wheels (within +/- 3% or so) so i do not believe that a
difference in wheel speed would result from the wheel/tire
changes.  it's only the width of the wheel/tire or the
profile of the tire that changes.  i don't see how that
would affect ASC nor do i see how speed could exacerbate
the problem.  i don't think you have to worry about
unexpected ASC intervention.

regards,

dan
96 M3 (ASC only off on track)
88 325is (ASC only as good as lump in driver's seat)

End of bmw-digest V9 #2034